HomOdeIt's a talent to be gay
HomOde is honoring being gay … an inspirational platform where we value each other… in our undeniably exceptional being. Accepted without question. But above all, we value the talent to be gay. Our soul: resilient in our creativity, inspiring in our engagement. Present and visible, over the centuries: in dance, acting, fashion, design, art, performing arts, music, philosophy, politics, journalism, writing, photography, sports, economics and science.
This creative vitality in diversity continues to shape the world we live in. In an exceptional and remarkable way we all have been given the most precious ‘memories of human expression’. Sex always takes centre stage in the general conversation about homosexuality. HomOde does not discuss this topic. We show the inspirational life of our nature without orgasms. HomOde is honoring the existential and much needed talent on a platform where expressing the ‘colors of life’ have so much more to tell than pink alone.
From the editors
HomOde is een Ode aan ‘de Homo’. Een inspirerend platform waar we elkaar waarderen homoseksueel te zijn. Onbesproken geaccepteerd. Maar vooral als Ode aan het talent om homo te zijn. Onze ziel, weerbaar in onze creativiteit. Inspirerend in onze betrokkenheid. Aanwezig en zichtbaar, door de eeuwen heen: creatief, filosofisch, politiek, literair, fotografisch, muzikaal, sportief, economisch en wetenschappelijk.
Deze creatieve vitaliteit heeft de wereld mede op exceptionele wijze gevormd en inmiddels verrijkt met de meest dierbare ‘herinneringen’. Sex vormt en vormde immer het hart van het algemene gesprek over homosexualiteit. HomOde laat dit onbesproken. We tonen het inspirerende leven tussen de natuur der orgasmen. HomOde is een ode aan talent. Een platform waar gevoel voor de ‘kleur des levens’ zoveel meer heeft te vertellen dan roze alleen.
Van de redactie
- “It takes no compromise to give people their rights…it takes no money to respect the individual. It takes no political deal to give people freedom. It takes no survey to remove repression.”–Harvey Milk
- “I hate the word homophobia. It’s not a phobia. You’re not scared. You’re an asshole.”–Morgan Freeman
- “It always seemed to me a bit pointless to disapprove of homosexuality. It’s like disapproving of rain.”–Francis Maude
- “Openness may not completely disarm prejudice, but it’s a good place to start.”–Jason Collins, first openly gay athlete in U.S. pro sports
- “When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.”–President Barack Obama
- “The only queer people are those who don’t love anybody.”–Rita Mae Brown
- “So let me be clear: I’m proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me.”–Tim Cook
- “If homosexuality is a disease, let’s all call in queer to work: ‘Hello. Can’t work today, still queer.’–Robin Tyler
- “This world would be a whole lot better if we just made an effort to be less horrible to one another.”–Ellen Page
- “The beauty of standing up for your rights is others will see you standing and stand up as well.” Columnist Cassandra Duffy
- “Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?”–Author Ernest J. Gaines
- “The beauty of standing up for your rights is others see you standing and stand up as well.”–Advice columnist Cassandra Duffy
- “I’ve been embraced by a new community. That’s what happens when youre finally honest about who you are; you find others like you.”–Chaz Bono
- “Gender preference does not define you. Your spirit defines you.”–Author P.C. Cast
- “Somebody, your father or mine, should have told us that not many people have ever died of love. But multitudes have perished, and are perishing every hour–and in the oddest places!–for the lack of it.”–Author James Baldwin
- “We should indeed keep calm in the face of difference, and live our lives in a state of inclusion and wonder at the diversity of humanity.”–George Takei
- “Being gay is like glitter, it never goes away.”–Lady Gaga
- “I believe that no one should ever have to choose between a career we love and living our lives with authenticity and integrity”–Out & Equal Executive Director Selisse Berry
- “It takes some intelligence and insight to figure out you’re gay and then a tremendous amount of balls to live it and live it proudly.”–Jason Bateman
- “Every gay and lesbian person who has been lucky enough to survive the turmoil of growing up is a survivor. Survivors always have an obligation to those who will face the same challenges.”–Writer/actor Bob Paris
- “All of us who are openly gay are living and writing the history of our movement. We are no more – and no less – heroic than the suffragists and abolitionists of the 19th century; and the labor organizers, Freedom Riders, Stonewall demonstrators, and environmentalists of the 20th century. We are ordinary people, living our lives, and trying as civil-rights activist Dorothy Cotton said, to ‘fix what ain’t right’ in our society.”–Senator Tammy Baldwin
- “Being gay is natural. Hating gay is a lifestyle choice.”–John Fugelsang
- “I’m living by example by continuing on with my career and having a full, rich life, and I am incidentally gay.”–Portia DeRossi
- “I think being gay is a blessing, and it’s something I am thankful for every single day.”–Anderson Cooper
- “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.”–Harvey Fierstein
- “The single best thing about coming out of the closet is that nobody can insult you by telling you what you’ve just told them.”–Rachel Maddow